2017 Civic Engagement Field Specialist Announcement
OCA– Greater Los Angeles
JOB TITLE: Civic Engagement Field Specialist
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
POSTED: July 24, 2017
JOB LOCATION: Orange County or Riverside-L.A County/San Bernardino Ontario metropolitan
WORK SCHEDULE: 34 hours per week, 10am-5pm Monday-Friday (flexible working hours with some evenings and weekends)
STATUS: .85 FTE, Non-Exempt, Temporary until December 31, 2017
BENEFITS: Gas card will be provided
OCA-Greater Los Angeles Mission:
OCA- Greater Los Angeles (OCA-GLA) is the local chapter of OCA-Asian Pacific Advocates, a
National, non-partisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the social, political, and
economic well-being of Asian Pacific Americans (APA) in the United States.
Civic Engagement Program:
OCA-GLA Civic Engagement Program focuses on training and involving
high school and college students to make an impact on the electorate process and civic
participation through leadership development empowerment and increase voter
Summary of Duties:
This position is responsible for 1) overseeing the Civic Engagement Fellowship Program that entails working with various high school and college student clubs to mobilize their peers to register to vote and advocate for issues they care about; 2) Conduct trainings such as Organizing 101, Story of Self, and How to Conduct Voter Registration to the Civic Engagement Program fellows; and 3) supporting voter engagement activities held by high school and college student clubs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist in the implementation of the Civic Engagement Program in Orange County including activities related to recruiting student youth partners, administering surveys, and utilize program database
- Train and manage student leaders in effectively train them to register voters and educate voters on local issues.
- Track student clubs progress in voter registration and voter engagement efforts. Collect voter registration data for each student club.
- Ensure that student clubs are equipped with all the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively conduct voter registration drives.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings to coordinate the completion of grant deliverables.
- Represent OCA-GLA at functions and events.
- Assist in program evaluation and reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors’ Degree in public policy, social services, behavioral health, political science, or a related field with at least 1-year experience in that field. Experience in youth leadership development, coalition building, and/or community organizing is desired. Must be highly organized and able to perform multiple task simultaneously in a demanding work environment. Must be able to work independently and exercise good judgement regarding the fulfillment of program objectives. Must have strong written and oral communication skills and experience in providing training and group facilitation. Must have sufficient ability to utilize Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint), Google Drive, and other required software. Knowledgeable in social networking and media tools including, but not limited to, Facebook, WordPress, and Mailchimp. Must be able to keep sensitive organization information confidential. Ability to work under time constraints. Must have reliable transportation, a valid CA driver’s license and proof of insurance. Gas card will be provided.
The position is now open and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Please apply by sending cover letter and resume (Microsoft Word or PDF format only) to Jennifer Chau, Executive Director at Jennifer.email@example.com
- Email Subject Line should read, “Applying for Civic Engagement Field Specialist”.
- Please clearly indicate in the cover letter which position (only 1 per submission) you are applying for Orange County or L.A County/Riverside-San Bernardino Ontario metropolitan Civic Engagement Field Specialist.